Dental Sedation in NYC
The Park Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery provides dental sedation in New York City. Call 212-393-4639 to learn more and schedule your appointment.
Local anesthesia is used for all of our oral surgery procedures. It is an injected anesthetic that targets a localized area for a short time. Local anesthesia does not affect your brain or nervous system, so it is safe to drive home afterwards. However, it can take a couple of hours after your procedure to wear off, so it is important to be careful when eating and drinking. To avoid injury, do not consume anything very hot or very cold, and chew slowly and thoroughly, until the anesthesia wears off.
Also known as “laughing gas,” nitrous oxide is a safe, effective, and short-lived option for those who are anxious about a procedure. You will inhale a carefully controlled blend of nitrogen and oxygen through a mask over your nose. You may feel light-headed, tingly, heavy, and a bit silly, but you will remain awake and aware of your surroundings. The effects wear off in just a few moments after the mask is removed, allowing you to safely drive home.
IV Sedation/General Anesthesia
IV sedation is carefully controlled to produce either moderate “twilight” sleep or full general anesthesia. Either option can be very helpful for patients with certain special needs, as well as those whose anxiety cannot be controlled with nitrous oxide.
Note that if you choose IV sedation or general anesthesia, you must bring a responsible adult to your appointment to wait with you throughout the procedure and drive you home. In addition, please follow these pre-anesthesia instructions:
- Provide our office with a complete list of your doctors and medications
- If you take routine oral medications, check with us in advance for instructions
- Inform us of any history of narcotics abuse or any adverse effects from sedation
- Notify us if you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, or upset stomach or bowels
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, for eight hours before your procedure
- Do not smoke for at least 12 hours before your procedure
- Wear loose fitting, short sleeved clothing and low-heeled shoes
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish
- Remove contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures in the treatment room
- Do not drive or operate machinery for 24 hours after your procedure
Call 212-393-4639 to schedule your appointment.